2020 Legal Summer Associate Program (New York)
Placement and duration
The Summer Associate Program provides Black, Hispanic, Native American, and LGBT first year law students in-depth exposure to our Legal and Compliance Division as well as the Firm’s culture. During the eight week Program beginning in June, Summer Associates will work under the direction of attorneys in our Legal Department on a number of assignments incorporating various aspects of a legal practice in a global financial institution.
The Program includes an orientation to the Firm, senior management speaker seminars and social and networking events to build professional networks within Morgan Stanley and among New York law firms.
Summer Associates participate in a Firmwide and Divisional Orientation as well as training throughout the Program to educate you on the legal aspects of the financial services industry and soft skills required for professional development. The remainder of the training is on the job.
Examples of assignments you might receive include:
- Assisting attorneys with investigating claims (such as participating in client interviews).
- Collecting relevant materials in response to inquiries.
- Assisting in the preparation of responses to certain requests.
- Assisting with legal and regulatory research.
- Assisting with aspects of regulatory reform implementation.
- Preparing client updates on legal developments.
Qualifications/ Skills/ Requirements
- Currently enrolled in 1st year of JD program
- Interest in financial institution's law and regulatory practice.
- Excellent academic performance.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Strong research and analytical ability.
- Superior organization skills and attention to detail.
To qualify, applicants must be legally authorized to work in the United States, and should not require, now or in the future, sponsorship for employment visa status.
This Program is closed to applications.