2024 Investment Management Industrial Placement Program - Emerging Markets (London)
PLACEMENT AND DURATION
Morgan Stanley Investment Management (MSIM), together with its investment advisory affiliates, has about $1.4 trillion in assets under management or supervision. With 1,248 investment professionals worldwide, and 54 offices in 25 countries, Morgan Stanley Investment Management is able to provide in-depth local knowledge and expertise while channelling the strength of our global presence and resources. To support the delivery of tailored, value-added investment solutions to clients our investment teams are organized by capability: Solutions & Multi-Asset, Real Assets, Active Fundamental Equity, Private Credit & Equity, Global Fixed Income, and Global Liquidity. Morgan Stanley Investment Management strives to provide outstanding long-term investment performance, service and a comprehensive suite of investment management solutions to a diverse client base, which includes governments, institutions, corporations and individuals worldwide
The Emerging Markets Debt team manages approximately $20 billion across a range of investment strategies. The team analyses the macroeconomic and political environments of more than one hundred countries and translates these fundamental views into investment ideas. Our research process leverages traditional news and crowd-sourced media, economic data releases, relationships with economists and political analysts, and on the ground travel to meet with policy makers and in-country experts. We exploit both long and short investment opportunities and use a variety of sovereign bonds, currencies, equities, and other cash and derivative instruments in order to execute our strategies. Our team is made up of highly motivated professionals with diverse backgrounds who complement our global perspective.
The 12-month Industrial Placement Internship Program is aimed at undergraduates who are completing a four-year degree with a year out in industry as a requirement for their degree. The one-year internship, which is based in London and begins in June 2024, offers you the opportunity to learn about a variety of areas, while providing a clear understanding of how Investment Management operates as a whole. Interns are treated as full-time members of the team and work alongside experienced professionals at all levels.
All new Industrial Placement Interns participate in an orientation program covering the Firm's businesses, the transition from an academic setting to a corporate environment and the chance to establish a network throughout the Firm globally. Interns then attend divisional training where they learn the core skills required to be successful on the job. The curriculum focuses on the Investment Management Emerging Markets business and the various processes and systems required to be successful in the role. In addition, all Interns learn and network with peers, mentors and managers through group projects and other organised events.
- Gather, maintain, evaluate, and distribute macroeconomic data from disparate sources for use in the investment research process.
- Prepare daily news summaries for Portfolio Managers by monitoring various news sources for specific countries and regions
- Partake in research and due diligence conference calls and meetings.
- Interpret data, create visualizations, and communicate valuable information to the team.
- Assist the Director of Country Research and his team by completing ad hoc tasks and in-depth research projects
QUALIFICATIONS/ SKILLS/ REQUIREMENTS
- You are able to take a placement for a period of 12 months
- Pursuing a Bachelor's degree with an expected graduation date between December 2025 and June 2026 after the placement
- Excellent record of academic achievement, with transcript as a proof
- A keen interest in emerging markets, politics and economic policy
- Strong analytical and numerical skills
- Knowledge and operating self-sufficiency in programming language(s) such as Python or R
- Strong MS Office skills
- Proficiency in a foreign language is a plus
- Attentive to detail, well organized, and deadline oriented
- Positive attitude, strong work ethic and collaborative
This Program is closed to applications.