2023 Operations Industrial Placement Programme (Frankfurt)
About the Role
The Operations Industrial Placement Program is aimed at students with a year in industry as a compulsory element of their degree program. Internships are available in the following teams within operations:
- The Security Settlement team deals with all aspects of trade settlement done in the German market via the overarching European Target2Securities platform. This includes Over-the-Counter (OTC) trades and stock exchange trades for different types of financial products. The goal of settlements is to ensure that outstanding trades are completed in time in order to avoid financial risk for the firm. As a fully integrated member of the team, you will be primarily responsible for ensuring timely settlement of trades with risk, reconciling the matching criteria of instructions, and computing daily statistics. The gained knowledge of the post-trade financial infrastructure will create a good basis for every job in the financial sector.
- The Client Service Group functions as a cross-product client facing team. As a fully integrated member of the team, you will be liaising with multiple Morgan Stanley operations teams, Morgan Stanley business units and German speaking clients. Further responsibilities of successful candidates include analysis of current operational functions, identifying and implementing enhancement opportunities, and assisting the sales/trading desk in their daily functions. This varied role offers a great platform to develop an understanding of operational post-trade functions and financial product knowledge.
- The Asset Service Group deals with all aspects of corporate events including, but not limited to, dividend and coupon payments, production of tax certificates as well as the processing of Annual General Meetings. As a fully integrated member of the team, you will be primarily responsible for processing dividend, distribution and coupon payments accurately and in a timely manner, liaising with German agents and internal teams across the globe. Further responsibilities include preparing excel sheets with respect to corporate events, controlling of received funds, reconciliation of trade flows and balances, communication with other Morgan Stanley departments, and computing daily statistics. This varied role provides the individual with the opportunity to use his or her own initiative and serves as a great platform to develop a broader banking knowledge.
- The Client Regulatory Service Control Team deals with all aspects of “Know Your Client” (KYC/AML) and other market regulations (e.g. MiFID). As a fully integrated member of the team, you will be liaising with local and oversea Morgan Stanley business units and compliance departments. This role provides you with the opportunity to work independently and broaden your knowledge of Corporate Structures and Regulations including process implementation, execution, and controls. Further responsibilities will include the execution of implemented controls, support the execution of yearly regulatory audits, contribution to process implementation and enhancements.
- The Operational Risk & Regulatory Control team implement risk and control framework throughout operations. In this role you will supporting this framework implementation through continuous identification, assessment, remediation, monitoring and reporting of Operations risk as well as general support with ad-hoc risk and control requests and issues. You will also support regulatory and statistical reporting preparation (ECB, Bundesbank, BaFin), the daily reconciliation process (follow-up on high-risk breaks, fails etc.) and ad-hoc account opening requirements incl. documentation preparation. This role will offer you the opportunity to learn data analysis skills with Excel and Power BI, as well as Morgan Stanley tools and data warehouses.
What we are looking for
We are looking for enthusiastic candidates studying a Business, Economics, Finance and/or German Language related degree with strong analytical and organisational skills. Proficiency in German is preferred but not essential.
Want to find out more?
Please join us for an open Q&A session on the 17th November 15:00 - 16:00 GMT/ 16:00 – 17:00 CET where a panel of representatives, including current interns, can help provide some insight and answer any questions regarding the open roles for the 2023/24 Operations Intern programme, or about life in Frankfurt itself. You can register for the event at https://morganstanley.tal.net/vx/brand-2/candidate/so/pm/1/pl/2/opp/14543-Frankfurt-Industrial-Placement-Q-A/en-GB
This Program is closed to applications.